Click to add
Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc. recognizes Education with a focus on Mentoring Youth as its official philanthropy. We recognize the value of role models and mentorship, as undergraduates and alumnae. Our sisterhood is committed to personal success as well as outreach efforts in the community.
How Mentoring HelpsSupport for education
Support with day-to-day living
- Mentors help keep students in school.
- Students who meet regularly with their mentors are 52% less likely than their peers to skip a day of school and 37% less likely to skip a class (Public/Private Ventures study of Big Brothers Big Sisters).
- Mentors help with homework and can improve academic skills.
Support in the workplace
- Mentors help improve a young person's self-esteem.
- Mentors provide support for students trying new behaviors.
- Youth who meet regularly with their mentors are 46% less likely than their peers to start using illegal drugs and 27% less likely to start drinking (Public/Private Ventures study of Big Brothers Big Sisters).
- About 40% of teenager's waking hours are spent without companionship or supervision. Mentors provide teens with a valuable place to spend free time.
- Mentors teach young people how to relate well to all kinds of people and help young people strengthen their communication skills.
- Mentors help young people set career goals and start taking steps to realize them.
- Mentors can use their personal contacts to help young people meet industry professionals, find internships and locate job possibilities.
- Mentors introduce young people to professional resources and organizations they may not know about.
- Mentors can help their mentees learn how to seek and keep jobs.
For more information on mentoring resources visit: mentoring.org
text, images, and other content